16 Sept 2013

Gentle Daily Exfoliation Powder

Regular exfoliation keeps your skin smooth and glowing.
Avoiding chemicals in my skin care products has been a bit of a personal quest for the past decade or so. This has lead to a lot of experimentation with a few winning results. This is based on an Ayurvedic recipe that I came across in my reading many years ago. Try mixing up a batch of this long-lasting and easy to use powdered facial scrub for daily cleansing.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup Chick pea flour (A.K.A. gram flour, chana flour, besan) 
  • 1/2 cup Powdered milk 
Sift together, then transfer to an airtight container. This will make enough exfoliating powder to last you a long time, so keep a container filled for use in the bathroom and store the rest in a cool dark place.
I have found both ingredients in the bulk section of a Punjabi market in my neighbourhood. When shopping in this environment look for 'chana flour.

Keep your exfoliating powder within
arms reach of the shower.

To use:

Sprinkle a bit of the powder (approx. 1 tsp) in your palm, add a dash of water, then emulsify into a thin paste. Some little lumps will remain but that's okay, consider them your little exfoliating helpers. Massage your face, neck, and décolletage gently in small circles using the soft finger pads and palms of your hands. Rinse with warm water, pat dry, tone, then moisturize. Avoid getting in your eyes, not because it's toxic, but simply because it feels awfully gritty. If you do, however, rinse thoroughly.

I use a re-purposed spice shaker for my exfoliating powder that lives just outside my shower for quick and easy dispensing. I prefer to use this one in the shower since it can be a little sloppy.

Go get scrubbing and I'll see you in the clinic with a glowing complexion,
Dana


No comments:

Post a Comment